Monday, June 18, 2018

Can you save that Hosta tips and tricks

What I've learned is hostas of very Hardy plants and will grow pretty much through anything's, yes you can kill them but they're not that hard to save here's a few tips I found on the internet that can help you save the hosta you want. 
Media library : will be going out through places and see if we can take cuttings from hostas in public places and regrow them stay tuned for an update on this paper

The Garden Frog with C Renee
Says You Can Save That Hosta
Okay, it is that time of the year and you walk out into your garden and you see your hosta has fallen over and you pick it up to discover that the roots have been eaten. What do you do?
Do not throw it out!
Have you tried to separate your hosta clump and you broke one of the leaves off and it has no roots...
can you save it?Most likely the answer is YES!
I have have saved hostas for years that have



6/14/14 first hosta of the season-found this the other day leaning over



Notice there are a few small white roots-this is a great sign! Put this in a vase with just enough water to go about 2" above the roots. In about 6 weeks this will be ready to plant again.





Sitting on my potting bench-patiently waiting and checking for the plants to be ready to either go in a pot or in the ground.





5/21/14 I divided this hosta and these leaves broke off but the crown of the root is still in tact (the end which has no roots that you see here in pic). This is still viable and can easily be rooted without any chemicals.




6/2/14 Roots are appearing-this is exciting when this happens.



6/14/14 Roots have grown about an 1 1/2" now. I will wait another couple weeks to put in a pot. You could even put this in a pot now and keep it moist and do not let it dry out.
How to root a plant in water
For best success, you will need the root crown for the hosta
Now is the time to start rooting plants for spring time container gardening. For most of you May is when you start planting your annuals in baskets and containers so you have plenty of time to root many plants. If you do not have any to root now, I would go buy a small hanging basket from the store and start cuttings of your own. Happy gardening and thanks for stopping by

Leaf rooting experiment

leafwatcher(zone 5)
ok, after the talk about this earlier on the board, I decided to give it a try ...
Someone mentioned using a koi ponds water flow to get things going, and the time frame of three weeks. So I think I willl base my experiment on that.
I have had aquariums since I was a kid, so I have access to everything I needed.
last year I put some cut leaves in a big bottle of aquarium water to see if they would root, I really didn't have any info on what to do time wise..and I just sort of let them sit until they went bad. However the leaves stayed nice a fairly long time, I was surprised.
So here is the plan, i took a ten gallon aquarium and poured around 8 gallons of aquarium water in it, I then added a cap full of a root stimulator we had from a tree project. I have hung a medium sized filter on the back of the tank to keep the water turning and hopefully healthy. next for the guinea pigs .. :) I broke a small to medium leaf off the following plants, I did not cut them.
A.Drinking Gourd,Sagae,Guacamole,golden tiara,and a Striptease. I accidentally got a bit of the base on the golden Tiara, but decided to leave it on..
next I lightly tied a not around each stalk near the leafand hung them in the aquarium, I also used a clothes pin to clip the leaf in a good position to the sun, and keep it from falling down into the tank.
My location should offer no more than a couple hours of morning sunshine, and a light shade the rest of the day.
I think I will try to shoot for the three weeks time in the tank, then plant in an area where I can let them be until next year undisturbed ....
So don't hate me if I don't have daily updates ! hahhaha
Oh yeah, 
Important notice: You need leaves that are ripped off all the way down at the crown... They'll actually be white down on that end.

I have rooted hosta eyes that have ripped off down at the crown and it worked. I had them in my small water feature with a pump, but no filter.
I've not ever tried doing it with a single leaf.
I have, however, been told that this really only works in the last half of the hosta season since that is when hostas are working on putting out new roots.



No comments:

Post a Comment